Welcome the new year in style! Whether you’re looking for an evening among adults, over night accommodations or family-friendly festivities, northern Michigan is the place to be. Read on for a list of 7 festive ways to say goodbye to 2015 and hello to 2016.
1. Enjoy a holiday buffet at Stafford’s Bay View Inn, 5:30 to 8:30 pm. $31.95 per guest, $17.95 per child. Overnight accommodations are available – reservations recommended, 231-347-2771.
2. Stafford’s Perry Hotel is offering a holiday buffet and dancing music in the H.O. Rose Room, 6:30 to 10 pm. $30 per guest, $13.95 per child. Stay the night – overnight accommodations are available. Call today for reservations, 231-347-4000.
3. Visit Stafford’s Pier Restaurant to enjoy Chef Britt’s special a la carte holiday menu, 4:30 to 9:30 pm. Reservations are suggested, 231-526-6201
4. Enjoy our a la carte holiday menu (4:30 to 11 pm) Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant and the smooth sounds of Marty Ward (5:30 to 8:30 pm). The Jon Archambault Band will play in the Round Lake Room from 9 pm to 1 am, and welcome the new year with Charlevoix’s Bridge Drop!
5. Enjoy dinner out at The Drawbridge Bistro. Chef Rob will be serving his regular dinner menu from 4:30 to 9 pm.
6. Charlevoix Bridge Drop
Families of all ages will enjoy an evening in downtown Charlevoix! Family activities from 1 to 6 pm include: horse drawn carriage rides, s’mores in East Park, snowman Contest in East Park, arts and crafts, face painting and games at Charlevoix Circle of Arts, free kids movie at Charlevoix Cinema III, Tommy Tropic one man circus in East Park, fireworks at 9 pm, bridge drop and 21 gun salute at midnight! Click here for times and details.
7. New Year’s Eve at the Arts Center
The whole family will enjoy art, music, dance, theatre, performances & workshops, food & refreshments. One of the highlights is the ‘midnight at 9’ ball-drop on Division Street.
There is nothing quite like a small town celebration to bring the holiday spirit out! Visit our local communities to get the holiday spirit rolling this season!
Downtown Petoskey Holiday Open House
Friday, December 4, 6 to 9 pm
Santa will fly in to light the big tree in Pennsylvania Park then head to the gazebo to visit the children and listen to their holiday wishes. Enjoy caroling by the Little Traverse Civic Theater and festive music by the Petoskey Steel Drum Band. Warm up with bean pots, soup and brats. Browse the Merry Makers Marketplace at Crooked Tree Arts Center. It’s a wonderful evening in #DowntownPetoskey!
Charlevoix Holiday Merchant Open House
Saturday, December 5, 9 am to 5 pm
Downtown merchants will be offering entertainment, samples, snacks, refreshments, special sales, raffles and more! Take the little ones for a visit with Santa from 9 am to 1:30 pm at Charlevoix Cinema III – children are even invited to stay and watch a free holiday movie at 2 pm! Then warm up with the hot cocoa contest from 12 to 5 pm.
Harbor Springs Holiday Open House
Saturday, December 5, 6 to 9 pm
It’s tradition! Enjoy holiday music by the Petoskey Steel Drum Band, refreshments and more. Visit Stafford’s Pier Restaurant to warm up with our classic French Onion Soup!
4th Annual Christmas in Alanson Open House
Friday, December 11, 5 to 8 pm
Experience some holiday cheer in the this lovely downtown! Santa will be at the Alanson Village Hall waiting to greet children with their wishes; the Alanson Women’s Club will be serving warm food & beverages; Downtown merchants will open their doors to offer warm holiday greetings; The Petoskey Steel Drum Band will perform at 6:30 on River Street!
And, be sure to stop by and visit us at Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites – we’ll be serving cookies and hot cocoa!
1. Join the community of Charlevoix for the Tree Lighting & Holiday Parade – Friday, November 27, 1 to 6 pm. A great way to kick-off the holiday season!
2. Entertainment in the Noggin Room Pub happens every weekend, including Thanksgiving weekend! Wednesday, November 25, 8 to 11 pm – Billy Jewel; Friday, November 27, 8 to 11 pm – Mike Ridley and Saturday, November 28, 8 to 11 pm – E Minor Band
3. Bundle up and scope out your spot for Stafford’s Annual Downtown Petoskey Holiday Parade – Saturday, November 28, 10 am. This downtown Petoskey tradition includes floats, bands, Santa and lots of holiday cheer – a great family event!
4. Santa’s Workshop on Rose Garden Veranda at Stafford’s Perry Hotel returns this year! Every Saturday, November 28 – December 19, 12 to 2 pm. Fun for all ages – Santa’s Workshop has hot chocolate, cookies and visits with Santa in his sleigh. It’s free – bring your camera!
5. Shop Small Business Saturday! Support local business and shop small on “Shop Small Business Saturday.” Stafford’s Art Gallery will be offering a drawing for a limited edition print, Petoskey Memories by artist Randall Higdon, with any purchase made this day.
6. Light up the town during the Harbor Springs Tree Lighting – Saturday, November 28, 6:30 pm. The community comes together to kick off the holiday season!
1. Grab some friends and enjoy a Tuesday Wine Tasting at Stafford’s Pier Restaurant – Tuesday, November 10, 5:30 to 7 pm! This month we feature wines of Italy. Come meet Rick Collett (Small Domaine Specialist/ Owner of Peerless Wine Selections). Discover a Chardonnay from the Piemonte region, Barbera d’Asti and Chianti. Let Rick take you and your taste buds around the beautiful country of Italy.
2. Back by popular demand, our Innkeeper’s Buffet returns on Saturday evenings at Stafford’s Bay View Inn from 5:30 to 8:30 pm. Enjoy classic appetizers, entrees including fish, short ribs, shrimp alfredo, roasted chicken and chef’s choice dessert, just $19.95 per guest.
3. Send the guys off to the woods and set your sites on Ladies Opening Night in downtown Petoskey, Friday, November 13, 5 to 8 pm. Finish up with a Deer Camp menu in the H.O. Rose Dining Room, too!
4. Continue the fun with Ladies Night Out in downtown Harbor Springs on Saturday, November 14, 6 to 9 pm. It’s the perfect time to show your love and shop locally. More than 25 businesses will be open, so you can find it all. Dinner specials will be offered at local restaurants including Stafford’s Pier: buy one sandwich or entree, get one free! For more info contact the Harbor Springs Chamber of Commerce.
5. Let the creative juices flow during our next Cork & Canvas – A Creative Evening! Thursday, November 19, 6 to 8 pm. Local artist Katie Brines, will provide step-by-step instructions allowing you to create a one of a kind masterpiece on canvas. No painting talent required! Our fee includes all supplies, wine tastings and light hors d’oeuvres. Each guest will take home a finished piece of artwork. Reservations for this event are required – we fill up fast! $50 per guest. Contact our friendly Gallery staff to reserve your spot, 231-347-0142.
6. Take a lunch break with Manna Food Project’s Empty Bowl’s Luncheon – Monday, November 23 at Stafford’s Perry Hotel. Your donation buys a bowl and soup for lunch. Join us for this fun community event and Manna fundraiser!
7. A Thanksgiving For All – We invite you to come celebrate the warmth and togetherness of Thanksgiving at Stafford’s.
Stafford’s Bay View Inn – Traditional Thanksgiving Buffet
11:30 am to 4:30 pm; $27.95 adults, $13.95 children
Perry Hotel – Traditional Thanksgiving Buffet
12:30 to 5:30 pm; $29.95 adults, $13.95 children
Stafford’s Pier Restaurant
Traditional Thanksgiving Buffet – 12:30 to 5:30 pm
$28.95 adults, $13.95 children
Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant
Classic Holiday Buffet – 11:30 am to 5:30 pm
$28.95 adults, $13.95 children
Turkey’s To Go
A complete Thanksgiving meal to enjoy in the comfort of your own home. Serves 6 to 8 people, $139. Reservations are recommended, 231-547-4311. Available at Stafford’s Bay View Inn, Pier Restaurant and Weathervane Restaurant.
Neighbors in Need
A charitable giving program. Donate a Thanksgiving meal to families in need in Charlevoix and Emmet counties. Please contact Lindsey at Stafford’s Pier Restaurant or MJ at Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant to make a donation.
8. Kick off the holiday season with some small town celebrations. If there’s one thing we all love about our community – it’s the holiday cheer! Old friends, new friends, neighbors and family gather with love and camaraderie to continue these small town traditions.
- Charlevoix Parade & Tree Lighting – Friday, November 27, 1 to 6 pm
- Stafford’s Annual Holiday Parade – Saturday, November 28, 10 am
- Santa’s Workshop at Stafford’s Perry Hotel – Saturday, November 28, 12 to 2 pm
This even is free for kids of all ages. Bring your camera and dress warm, the event is held on the Rose Garden Veranda and you can visit with Santa in his sleigh!
- Harbor Springs Tree Lighting, 100th Anniversary – Saturday, November 28, 6:30 pm
9. Enjoy dinner out! Give your kitchen a break and enjoy our fabulous dinner features. Our Chef’s have come up with some dishes you won’t want to miss.
Take a step back to the Old English days and join us for the annual Madrigals Dinner – Petoskey High School’s award winning show! Tickets are $40 per guest which includes a three course gourmet dinner and live musical performances from the Madrigals throughout the evening. Guest arrival 5:30 pm, seating at 6 pm, show & dinner begin at 6:30 pm.
This year, we’re excited to feature these wonderful Madrigal singers at three of our locations!
Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant
Saturday, December 5, 5:30 pm
Smoked Whitefish Spread
Round Lake Salad
Bibb lettuce, dried cranberries, white cheddar cheese, walnuts, red pear and carrots with creamy cranberry vinaigrette
Tender chicken breast stuffed with cranberry pear compote and brie cheese baked in a puff pastry with chive beurre blanc, garlic mashed potatoes, fresh asparagus
Delicate chocolate mousse, fresh whipped cream and raspberries
Reserve your seat at Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant, 231-547-4311.
Stafford’s Perry Hotel
December 6, 10, 13 & 14; 5:30 pm
Vintner’s Goat Cheese Spread with crostinis
Holiday Kale Salad
Root vegetables, apples, red onion, white cheddar cheese with a cranberry walnut dressing
Medieval Short Rib of Beef
Potatoes with fresh parsley, french style green beans
Minted Chocolate Mousse
Reserve your seat at Stafford’s Perry Hotel, 231-347-4000.
Stafford’s Pier Restaurant
Thursday, December 17, 5:30 pm
Belgian Endive Salad
Blue cheese, cranberries, almonds, bacon, honey yogurt dressing
Carved mustard rubbed round of beef with port wine mushroom sauce and fresh rosemary, roasted brussels sprouts with glazed carrots and toasted pecans
Tiny chocolate mousse pies with raspberry sauce and mint
Reserve your seat at Stafford’s Pier Restaurant, 231-526-6201.
A popular giving program, Neighbors In Need, is spreading through the northern Michigan communities of Harbor Springs and Charlevoix.
The staff at Stafford’s Pier and Weathervane Restaurant work closely with Salvation Army, The Manna Food Project, Harbor Springs Food Bank, Women’s Resource Center, Charlevoix Area Food Pantry and local churches. Last year, over 116 families enjoyed a traditional Thanksgiving dinner, delivered by volunteers who prepare, package and deliver the meals, thanks to the generosity of Stafford’s Pier Restaurant, Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant, our staff and our guests.
“It is always our hope that the spirit of generosity will spread,” said Jody Ewbank, General Manager of Stafford’s Pier Restaurant. “The need is great, the obligation we accept, and we hope to reach more families in 2015.”
“Our staff wants to make this Thanksgiving special for everyone,” Marvin Morris notes, General Manager of Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant. “This year, we are pleased to accept a generous donation from the family of Jordan Raider, amongst other community members and businesses.”
To make a monetary or time donation, contact Lindsey Bur at Stafford’s Pier Restaurant, 231-526-6201 or Marvin Morris at Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant, 231-547-4311.
We love fall in northern Michigan! Enjoy these spook-tacular Halloween events – there is something for every age!
Haunted Halloween Progressive Dinner
Friday, October 30, 6:30 to 9:30 pm
A wickedly good time! It all starts with appetizers at Stafford’s Perry Hotel, entree at City Park Grill, dessert at Jesperson’s Diner. $45 per person, reservations required, 231-348-0388.
Downtown Petoskey Trick or Treat
Saturday, October 31, 10 am to 12 pm
Dress up as your favorite character and join the parade to trick-or-treat your way through downtown Petoskey!
Halloween Buffet at the Noggin Room Pub
Saturday, October 31, 11:30 am to 2 pm
Join us at the Noggin Room Pub after downtown Petoskey trick-or-treating for a lunch buffet the kids will love! Macaroni and cheese, chicken fingers and fruit. $1.99 per child with a paid adult from the regular menu.
Murder Mystery Dinner
Friday, October 30, 6 pm & Saturday, October 31, 6 pm
Local detectives and out-of-town sleuths are invited to join us for a four course interactive murder mystery dinner. Murder Mystery entertainment provided by “Inspector Russell” with Murder Mysteries Ink. Just a few seats left, call today for reservations, 221-347-2771.
Visit Stafford’s Gallery of Art to browse our selection of art and accessories – fall is in the air!
Monday – Saturday: 10 am to 6 pm. Sunday: 10 am to 4 pm.
1. Visit with Santa in his sleigh during Santa’s Workshop on the Rose Garden Veranda at Stafford’s Perry Hotel – Saturday, December 5, 12 & 19 – 12 to 2 pm. This event is free, bring your camera!
2. Enjoy a splendid holiday buffet and sit on Santa’s lap during the Annual Santa Brunch at Stafford’s Bay View Inn – Sunday, December 6, 8:30 am to 1:30 pm. $21.95 adults, $12.95 children
3 .Have breakfast with Santa at Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites – Sunday, December 20, 8 to 10 am, $5 per guest.
4. Have an a la carte lunch with Santa at Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant – Sunday, December 20, 12 to 2 pm.
1. Call up some friends and enjoy a Tuesday Wine Tasting – Tuesday, October 13, 5:30 to 7 pm. Stafford’s Pier Restaurant offers these events the second Tuesday of each month. Guests enjoy a taste of select wines and Chef Britt’s complimentary appetizers! This month please your palette with a tour of South American wines.
2. Head to downtown Petoskey and enjoy the festivities of A Moveable Feast – Friday, October 16 – 18.
Paying tribute to the many years that Ernest Hemingway spent growing up in Petoskey, A Moveable Feast is a weekend full of fun fall activities modeled around Hemingway’s hobbies.
3. Petoskey Restaurant Week (Friday, October 16 – Friday, October 23) happens twice a year. Take advantage this fall and enjoy your favorite restaurants and discover new ones at an affordable price! The best restaurants of Petoskey and Bay Harbor have joined forces for Petoskey Restaurant Week. Be sure to visit us in the Noggin Room Pub, too!
4. Live Music at the Noggin Room Pub is a local favorite! Stop by to catch up with friends over dinner and drinks! Local musicians play Friday and Saturday evenings, 8 to 11 pm. View the schedule of entertainers here.
5. Take a scenic color tour through northern Michigan! Mother Nature is putting on a great show this year – peak color is expected next weekend, October 16 – 18! Check out PetoskeyArea.com for a list of scenic routes in our area. Happy trails!
As the weather slowly changes from summer to autumn, the colors of fall surround us! It happens every year, we know it’s coming – still, we continue to be amazed! This spectacular show of colors is a must-see palette and a sight one will not soon forget. Of course we find the rich autumn colors beginning to pop up in nature all around us but also in some one-of-a-kind works of art (by Michigan artists!) and in the charming and unique decor of the hotels.
Just take a look at these pieces we are lucky enough to house at Stafford’s Gallery of Art & History! Thomas LeGault’s original oils will have you wishing you were there while Jim Jacoby’s photography will have you thinking you are there! What better way to keep the color inspiration alive all year long than by filling the vases with Lynda Marnon’s paper mache flowers. Connie McEwan’s Oil paintings (below) fill a room with awe!
Fall is one of our favorite seasons in northern Michigan (but who are we kidding, we say that about every season)! The colors of fall are sensational at the Crooked River Lodge. There’s still time to get out on the river for an up-close-and-personal view of Mother Nature’s show – grab a kayak and go (complimentary for our guests)! Cozy up by the indoor or outdoor fire and take in the picturesque view of the Crooked River. The fish pond is fun, too! Little ones love dropping food in (available at the front desk) and watching the fish.
Some of our guest rooms are even perfectly suited to fall getaways. Enjoy the color show in and out of doors! This Aster Suite at the Bay View Inn is a guest favorite. The Arlington room at the Perry Hotel offers a private balcony with a view of Little Traverse Bay. The River House at The Crooked River Lodge is perfect for families – featuring three bedrooms, two bathrooms, a full kitchen and covered porch overlooking the Crooked River.
Every season in northern Michigan is filled with delicious foods and drinks – fall is no exception! Whether you’re looking to warm up with a cup of hot tea, sip on glass of red wine, enjoy a tasty treat or just give your kitchen a break – the options are endless. These are a few of our favorites at Stafford’s!
We hope you’ll have the chance to experience a northern Michigan fall – the activities, hospitality and memories await!