The joy of the holiday season is upon us! We invite you to visit Stafford’s Gallery, where we make gift giving easy. Our unique selection of gifts begins at $8 and gift wrapping is available. Finish up your holiday shopping list, we’ve got something for everyone.
Stafford’s Cellar has a great selection of Michigan wines, including Stafford’s Private Label Wine Collection. Don’t forget to browse our great accessories, too!
We offer a variety of wine accessories and kitchen decor. Choose from books, hand-blown glass ornaments, note cards, Petoskey stone gift items, vases and much more.
Our artists create brilliant, one-of-a-kind creations. Visit us to find a unique gift for your special someone! Or, send your secret Santa to us and we’ll help select the perfect piece for you!
Our gallery features the finest Michigan artists representing a variety of mediums including watercolors, oils, photography, sculptures and original & limited edition prints.
We’d love to welcome you to Stafford’s Gallery of Art & History. Our collections are beautifully displayed in a unique warehouse building, along with exquisite antiques and Stafford’s exclusive collection of historical photos and artifacts. See you soon!
There’s nothing quite like a frosty shopping foray during the height of the Christmas season in our nearby downtown’s. Here are a few December events and your chance to visit with Santa this holiday season!
Downtown Petoskey Holiday Open House
Friday, December 5, 6 to 9 pm
Watch as the tree lights up for the first time of the season then visit with Santa under the Gazebo in Pennsylvania Park. Be sure to bring your camera to capture the moment! Enjoy this wonderful event with live music and also visit the downtown merchants for shopping!
Charlevoix Holiday Merchant Open House
Saturday, December 6
Visit local merchants for special sales and discounts, visit with Santa from noon to 1 pm, enjoy a free holiday movie and a Hot Cocoa Contest – follow the cocoa trail to sample and vote for Charlevoix’s best hot cocoa! Be sure to stop by The Drawbridge Bistro and try Chef Rob’s White Hot Cocoa with Peppermint Whipped Cream and a chocolate biscotti!
Harbor Springs Downtown Holiday Open House
Saturday, December 6, 6 to 9 pm
An evening filled with shopping, music and holiday treats! Main Street will be closed to allow the community to stroll in between stores and enjoy a relaxing evening of tradition. Be sure to stop into Stafford’s Pier Restaurant and warm up with your favorite beverage!
Santa Brunch – Stafford’s Bay View Inn
Sunday, December 7, 8:30 am to 1:30 pm
Gather your family and enjoy the tradition of brunch at Stafford’s Bay View Inn! Bring your camera for a photo with the Big Guy! Santa will be here from 10 am to 2 pm. Reservations recommended, 231-347-2771; $20.95 adults, $11.95 children.
Downtown Alanson Holiday Open House
Friday, December 12, 5 to 8 pm
Visit the merchants of downtown Alanson and a visit with Santa for small town holiday cheer!
Bay Harbor Holiday Open House & Holidazzle Lighted Parade
Saturday, December 13, 4 to 8 pm (Parade 6 to 7 pm)
A Santa fun run, open house and a lighted parade in the streets of Bay Harbor – a holiday event you don’t want to miss!
Santa Breakfast – Stafford’s Perry Hotel
Sunday, December 14, 10 am to 2 pm
Enjoy a visit with Santa and our a la carte breakfast menu! Kids of all ages will enjoy this and be sure to bring your camera to capture those moments. Reservations are suggested, 231-347-4000.
Santa’s Workshop – Stafford’s Perry Hotel
Every Saturday through December 20, 12 to 2 pm
Visit with Santa in his sleigh on the Rose Garden Veranda at Stafford’s Perry Hotel. Kids will enjoy visits, hot chocolate and cookies. Bring your camera – this is a free event with the jolliest guy around!
Santa Breakfast – Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites
Monday, December 22, 7:30 to 9:45 am
Enjoy a visit with Santa and breakfast! Be sure to bring your camera! $5 per guest (complimentary for overnight house guests)
The entire Stafford’s family wishes you peace and appreciation which brings us together this Thanksgiving. Enjoy the holiday weekend with these great events to kick-off the most “wonderful time of the year!”
1. Charlevoix Holiday Parade & Tree Lighting Celebration
Friday, November 28, 3:30 to 6 pm
Join the community of Charlevoix for a kick-off to the holiday season!
2. Christmas in Indian River Celebration
Friday, November 28, Evening
Enjoy the parade, Christmas tree lighting and pictures with Santa.
3. Stafford’s Annual Downtown Petoskey Holiday Parade – An Old Fashioned Holiday
Saturday, November 29, 10 am
A downtown Petoskey tradition! Floats, bands, Santa and holiday cheer – a great family event! The parade circles through downtown and ends at Stafford’s Perry Hotel with Santa’s Workshop where you can visit with Santa on his sleigh, enjoy cookies and hot chocolate, too. Bring your camera, this is a free event and happens every Saturday from 12 to 2 pm on the Rose Garden Veranda until December 20, 2014.
4. Downtown Harbor Springs Tree Lighting
Saturday, November 29, 6:30 pm
Join the community of Harbor Springs for a downtown tree lighting and a heartwarming kick off to the holiday season!
5. Shop Small Business Saturday
Saturday, November 29, all day
Get a head start on your holiday shopping and support our local downtowns with Small Business Saturday.
We wish you a safe, healthy and hospitable holiday season!
Winter has arrived to Northern Michigan and we couldn’t be more excited! There’s nothing quite like a frosty shopping foray during the holiday season in the nearby downtown or the excitement of fresh powder for snow lovers to enjoy skiing, snowmobiling and snowshoeing! Whether you are a local or vacationer, check our list of Things To Do In Northern Michigan This Winter.
1. Petoskey is home to Kilwin’s quality confections – take home a delicious treat or schedule a tour of the kitchen.
2. Enjoy world class skiing at Nub’s Nob, Boyne Highlands and Boyne Mountain (all a short drive from our hotels).
3. Wine & dine at Stafford’s Pier Restaurant in Harbor Springs.
4. Grab a drink in the Noggin Room Pub, complete an around the world tour of over 30 brews and add your name to the “Hall of Foam.”
5. Bundle up to hike the picturesque sand dunes or cross country ski at Petoskey State Park (located off of M-119).
7. Indulge in some comfort food with a Saturday evening Innkeeper’s Buffet at Stafford’s Bay View Inn.
8. Experience exceptional northern Michigan wines along the Bay View Wine Trail.
9. Rent a snowmobile and discover the hundreds of miles of trails in northern Michigan.
10. Browse through our collection of Michigan artists at Stafford’s Gallery of Art and History – located behind Stafford’s Perry Hotel.
11. Try your luck at Odawa Casino.
12. Walk or cross country ski through the winding community of Bay View and enjoy the gingerbread Victorian cottages.
13. View the ever changing exhibits at Crooked Tree Art Center – located in downtown Petoskey.
14. Visit the Michigan Fisheries Visitor Center – located in Oden on US-31.
15. Enjoy outdoor winter activities at Mt. McSauba Recreation Area in Charlevoix – one of the few municipal ski facilities left in Michigan.
16. Visit Michigan’s largest indoor waterpark, Avalanche Bay at Boyne Mountain.
17. Head to Indian River and visit the National Shrine of the Cross in the Woods and museum.
18. Take home some jam & sauce from American Spoon Foods – Petoskey is where the company was founded.
19. Dine at Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant in downtown Charlevoix overlooking the Pine River Channel.
20. Take a horse-drawn sleigh ride through the historic community of Bay View at Stafford’s Bay View Inn (Every Saturday in January & February, weather permitting).
21. Stop by Symon’s General Store in downtown Petoskey for some gourmet snacks.
22. Sample Oils and Vinegars from Fustini’s in downtown Petoskey.
23. Sit back, relax and take in the views of our beautiful corner of northern Michigan.
24. Catch a flick at the Petoskey Cinema (northernmicinemas.com).
25. Stroll the Bear River Recreation Area in Petoskey.
26. Enjoy a zip line adventure at Boyne Highlands Resort in Harbor Springs.
27. Sweet tooth? Tom’s Mom’s Cookies in Harbor Springs is a great treat.
28. Ice skate or sled at Petoskey’s Winter Sports Park.
29. Take a tour of Earl Young’s Mushroom Houses in Charlevoix. Maps are available at the Charlevoix Chamber of Commerce.
30. Snowshoe through historic Bay View or one of our many hiking trails in the area.
31. Pamper yourself with a day of relaxation at one of the areas renowned spas.
32. Relax by the cozy fireplaces at Stafford’s Bay View Inn, Crooked River Lodge or Perry Hotel.
33. Browse through the Andrew Blackbird Museum in Harbor Springs (open seasonally).
34. Go ice fishing on one of the many local lakes.
36. Big Bear Adventures in Indian River offers guided winter rafting trips and snowshoeing (17 miles northeast of Petoskey; 9 miles east of Alanson).
37. Our indoor pool and hot tub at Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites in Alanson is open for public swimming!
38. Learn about the famous Petoskey Stone, available for sale in our gift shops.
39. Bundle up and take a walk along the Pine River Channel in Charlevoix.
40. Try Stafford’s Oak Planked Whitefish – a Stafford’s specialty since 1961!
41. Peruse the Harbor Springs History Museum in downtown Harbor Springs.
42. Walk, shop and dine in the unique village of Bay Harbor.
43. Gather local produce from the year round (indoor) Farmers Market in Harbor Springs.
44. Enjoy breakfast, lunch or dinner at our newest location, The Drawbridge Bistro, in Charlevoix.
45. Visit Pond Hill Farm and try out their new wine tasting room (north of Harbor Springs on M-119).
46. Sample local wines from Mackinaw Trail Winery in downtown Petoskey.
47. Create your own pasta on Thursday evenings at Stafford’s Pier Restaurant – $12.95 (not available on holidays).
49. Boyne City has shops, restaurants and events to explore.
50. Visit a northern Michigan brewery. Beards Brewery located in downtown Petoskey or Petoskey Brewing Co. located on M-119.
51. Relax by the outdoor fire pit at Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites.
52. Take the family to play a few frames of bowling at Northern Lights Recreation (located on M-119).
53. Take a tour of Maple Moon Family Sugary and sample some of their homemade treats (mmsyrup.com)
54. Read one of our many books or magazines in one of our libraries at Stafford’s Bay View Inn, Crooked River Lodge or Perry Hotel.
55. Relax during Happy Hour at the Noggin Room Pub, Monday – Friday, 4 to 6 pm (staffords.com).
56. Friske Orchards is open year round (10 miles south of Charlevoix).
57. Visit one of the many antique shops in northern Michigan.
58. Peruse the historic Inland Waterway Museum in downtown Alanson – seasonal.
59. Visit Boyer Glassworks in Harbor Springs for one-of-a-kind items.
60. Explore the picturesque trails of Little Traverse Conservancy Nature Preserves – locations throughout northern Michigan.
61. Sturgeon River Pottery offers a great selection of homemade pottery and gifts, and they make it right in the store (sturgeonriver.com).
62. Visit one of the areas signature fudge shops – locations in Charlevoix, Petoskey and Harbor Springs.
63. Take the little ones to enjoy some playtime at Busy Bodies Bounce Town (busybodiesbouncetown.com).
64. Explore the 20 acres surrounding Stafford’s Crooked River Lodge & Suites. Hike, snowshoe or tube down our hill (maps available at the front desk).
65. Visit Deer Park in Harbor Springs.
66. Sip a gourmet cup of coffee at North Perk Coffee, Drip Works or Roast and Toast in downtown Petoskey.
67. Harbor Springs Performing Arts Center holds performances year round.
68. The Headlands in Mackinaw City is an international Dark Sky Park and the perfect place to watch the night sky. Be sure to bundle up!
69. Catch a winter sunrise over the Crooked River.
70. Get into the holiday spirit with a community holiday event listed below!
- Downtown Charlevoix Parade & Tree Lighting – Friday, November 28, 3:30 to 6 pm
- Christmas in Indian River – Friday, November 28.
- Stafford’s Annual Downtown Petoskey Holiday Parade – Saturday, November 29, 10 am
- Harbor Springs Community Tree Lighting – Saturday, November 29, 6:30 pm
- Downtown Petoskey Holiday Open House – Friday, December 5, 6 to 9 pm
- Harbor Springs Downtown Holiday Open House – Saturday, December 6, 6 to 9 pm
- Downtown Alanson Holiday Open House – Friday, December 12, 5 to 8 pm
- Bay Harbor Holiday Open House & Hollidazzle Lighted Parade – Saturday, December 13, 4 to 8 pm (Parade 6 to 7 pm)
View more area events at petoskeyarea.com!
We hope you enjoy the beautiful season that is upon us!
Our Dutch Apple Pie is a recipe from Stafford’s Cookbook – 40 Years of Recipes from the Bay View Inn.
- 8 cups Granny Smith apples, sliced
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Single pie crust
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 10 tablespoons butter (1 stick plus 2 tablespoons)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
Peel, core and slice apples. Combine sugar, corn starch and cinnamon. Mix with apples. Layer sliced apples to form a very high mound of apples in pie shell. This mound will be considerably higher than pie shell. Apples will cook down.
Sift flour, cut in butter and add brown sugar. Sprinkle over pie and let it trickle down among apples. Bake at 350 degrees fahrenheit for 1 1/2 hours.
Stafford’s Cookbook – 40 Years of Recipes from the Bay View Inn is available for purchase at Stafford’s Gallery of Art and History, Bay View Inn, Perry Hotel or Crooked River Lodge. These make wonderful gifts!
Straight from his recipe box, Chef Britt from Stafford’s Pier Restaurant in Harbor Springs, shares one of his delicious menu items – Fried Brussel Sprouts with Teriyaki Cream.
- 1 pound brussel sprouts trimmed and cut in half
- 2 eggs
- 2 table spoons water
- Dried Italian style bread crumbs
- 1 cup Kikkoman Teriyaki glaze
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup chopped chives
- Splash of lemon juice
- 1 pint vegetable oil for frying
- Boil the sprouts in water for about 5 minutes till tender but firm.
- Drain and rinse with cold water till cold and reserve.
- Beat the egg with the water and reserve.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients and set aside.
- Heat the cooking oil to 350 degrees in a large stove top pot making sure you have plenty of room to work with.
- Toss the sprouts in the egg wash, drain and then toss the sprouts in the bread crumbs to cover.
- Remove and place the covered sprouts in the hot oil gently.
- Fry until golden brown and remove and place on a paper tower.
- Place the sprouts on a serving platter and drizzle with the sauce. Enjoy!
This has been one of the most beautiful autumn seasons we have seen – did you get to experience it? Enjoy a few of our photos of a very colorful northern Michigan!
Have your own photos of autumn in northern Michigan? Post them to our facebook page to share with our social media family!
It’s harvest season and the wineries of northern Michigan are something you don’t want to miss! Add these stops to your next “must-do” list and sample some award wining wines right here from northern Michigan, along the Northwest Bay View Wine Trail. These include wineries in Charlevoix, Petoskey, Walloon Lake, Harbor Springs, Alanson and Indian River.
“The Bay View Wine Trail region is centered in the exposed shale of the geological Devonian formation which encompasses Charlevoix and Emmet counties. These unique outcrop areas fold and crimp exposed bluffs and river gorges along the Lake Michigan shoreline. Coupled with the warm breezes off of Little Traverse Bay, the Bay View Wine Trail region has unique micro-climates providing for a young but flourishing wine region.”- Bay View Wine Trail Website
Northern Michigan Wineries & Tasting Rooms
- Crooked Vine Vineyard & Winery
8370 Lakeview Rd., Alanson, MI 49706
- Harbor Springs Vineyards & Winery
5581 S. Lake Shore Drive, Harbor Springs, MI 49740
- Mackinaw Trail Winery
3423 US 131 South, Petoskey, MI 49770
Tasting Room – Downtown Petoskey
- Petoskey Farms Vineyard & Winery
3720 Atkins Road, Petoskey, MI 49770
- Pleasantview Winery
6769 Pleasantview Road, Harbor Springs, MI 49740
- Seasons of the North
9090 W. M-68 Highway, Indian River, MI 49749
- The Cellars of Royal Farms
10445 N. US-31, Atwood/Ellsworth, MI 49729
- Walloon Lake Winery
2505 Blackbird Road, Petoskey, MI 49770
Have a favorite wine from these vineyards? Please share with us in the comments. Cheers!
We know it’s difficult to let go of summer, but when it’s followed by a northern Michigan autumn, all is good and right! It’s harvest time – the season to enjoy the fruits of the land, the amazing colors, the crisp air and Stafford’s signature hospitality. Here are some autumn events & activities we don’t want you to miss!
A Fall Wine Tasting
Friday, October 10, 5:30 to 8:30 pm
A perfect fall event, Stafford’s Gallery is pleased to host an evening of wine tasting! Guests will enjoy a taste of Stafford’s Private Wine Collection:
- Stafford’s Chardonnay, Russian River Valley (2012)
- Stafford’s Pinot Noir, Napa Valley (2011)
- Stafford’s Cabernet Sauvignon, Napa Valley (2011)
- Stafford’s Sauvignon Blanc, Rutherford Napa Valley (2013)
$12 per guest and includes light appetizers. Guests of the wine tasting can also take advantage of special pricing the night of the event – 10% off art and 20% off all accessories throughout Stafford’s Gallery. We can’t wait to see you! More information can be found here.
Fall Festival Weekends at Pond Hill Farm
Every Saturday & Sunday in October, 11 am to 4 pm
Pumpkins, hayrides, cider, donuts and more! View details and more events here.
36th Annual Charlevoix Apple Fest
Friday, October 10 – Sunday, October 12
Fun for the entire family! This 3 day event celebrates local orchards and growers. Events include a parade, arts & crafts show, fall farmer’s market, children’s activities and more! View a schedule here.
Petoskey Restaurant Week
Friday, October 17 – Friday, October 24
Enjoy a week long culinary event celebrating the restaurants of the Petoskey Area. Many restaurants will offer a two for $15 lunch, 3 course dinner for $25 or two for $25. Now is your chance to try out the amazing restaurants that surround us! View more information and menus here.
Murder Mystery Dinner
Saturday, November 1, 6 pm
Local detectives and out-of-town sleuths are invited to join us at Stafford’s Bay View Inn for a four course interactive Murder Mystery Dinner with Murder Mystery entertainment provided by Murder Mysteries Ink with ‘Inspector Russell.’ $49 per guest, inclusive. View our menu here. Please call our friendly front desk for reservations, 866-258-1886.
Beer vs. Wine Dinner
Saturday, November 1, 6:30 pm
Join Stafford’s Weathervane Restaurant for a ‘head to head competition’ to see which pairs better with Chef Rob’s courses, Short’s Beer and Bowers Harbor Wine. Entertainment by John Archambault Band following the dinner. Four course dinner and pairings, $50 per guest. Visit our website for more details of call for reservations, 231-547-4311.
Happy Harvest Season! For a complete list of fall activities in northern Michigan, please visit the Petoskey Area Visitors Bureau or check out our list of 100 Things To Do in Northern Michigan – Fall 2014.
Straight from his recipe box, Chef Britt from Stafford’s Pier Restaurant in Harbor Springs, shares delicious fall treat of Michigan Red Apple and Gruyere Bread Pudding with Toasted Pecans. This is the perfect recipe during “apple season.”
- 2 cups Michigan Apples such as Red Delicious or Fuji diced small
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 day old French baguette cut in 1/2 inch slices
- 6 ounces Gruyere cheese, shredded
- 1/4 ham diced (optional)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Grated nutmeg to taste
- 6 scallions thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted pecan pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish
- Layer 1/2 the bread in the pan
- Add cheese and apples to top the bread (ham optional)
- Cover with remaining bread
- Beat together eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, nutmeg and scallions
- Fill the pan with the mixture, covering the bread
- Bake for about 45 minutes until the custard is set up
- Sprinkle with pecans